- About us
- Training & Careers
- Contact us
Dr Sumantra Ray
Senior Medical Advisor/Clinician Scientist
Research Group / Team: Nutrition Surveys and Studies, Volunteer Studies and Clinical Services
Dr Sumantra Ray (Shumone) is a UK Licensed Medical Doctor as well as a UK Registered Public Health Nutritionist, with specialist interests in Cardiovascular Disease Prevention, Nutrition Interventions and Educational Innovation. He acquired Postgraduate Certification in Medical Education and a Medical Research Doctorate in Nutrition and Cardiovascular Medicine at the University of Dundee, where he was latterly a Senior Clinical Research and Teaching Fellow at The Institute of Cardiovascular Research. He additionally completed a Master’s in Public Health from the University of Cambridge, where he subsequently held a National Institute of Health Research Public Health Fellowship and was also a Corfield Scholar at Selwyn College, Cambridge.
At the MRC Human Nutrition Research Unit (HNR), since Nov 2010, Shumone’s Medical Academic Portfolio straddles the roles of Senior Medical Advisor and Senior Clinician Scientist. In his medical role, Shumone is Chief of the HNR Volunteer Studies and Clinical Services (VSCS) facility, a core member of the HNR Research Review Board as well as Lead Clinician for the UK National Diet and Nutrition Survey. In his academic role, Shumone is Principal Investigator for the Nutrition and Vascular Studies platform comprising clinical trials as well as population studies, and he oversees a state-of-the art Vascular Function Assessment Lab embedded in the VSCS facility. In addition, Shumone co-established/leads a Public Health Nutrition forum which oversees Generic Nutrition Training in the unit for PhD students/staff and he is also responsible at HNR, for Master’s students as well as Associate Nutritionists training towards Fully Registered Nutritionist status.
Shumone is Chairman/Programme Director of the UK Need for Nutrition Education/Innovation Programme (NNEdPro) and also co-established/leads the Nutrition Education Review Group at the University of Cambridge School of Clinical Medicine. He is also an Honorary Senior Clinical Fellow at Addenbrooke’s Biomedical Campus and is an Expert Member of the Cambridge Central Committee of the National Research Ethics Service. In 2013, Shumone received the Josephine Lansdell award from the British Medical Association. In 2014, he was elected to the award of Honorary Lifetime Associateship by the council of the British Dietetic Association. Shumone is also an elected member and/or fellow of a number of professional bodies relevant to Medicine, Public Health and Nutrition.
- Ray S, Rajput-Ray M, Ball L, Crowley J, Laur C, Roy SK, Agarwal S, Ray S. (2015) Confidence and attitudes of doctors and dietitians towards nutrition care and nutrition advocacy for hospital patients in Kolkata, India J Biomed Education 2015: 416021
- Douglas, P, Ball, L, McGuffin, L, Laur, C, Crowley, J, Rajput-Ray, M, Gandy, J, Ray, S. (2015) Hydration: knowledge, attitudes and practices of UK dietitians J Biomed Education 2015: 172020
- Bresciani, L, Calani, L, Cossu, M, Sayegh, M, Ray, S, del Rio, D (2015) (Poly)phenolic characterization of three food supplements containing 36 different fruits, vegetables and berries PharmaNutrition 3: 11-19,
- Kris-Etherton, P.M., Akabas, S.R., Douglas, P., Kohlmeier, M., Laur, C., Lender, C.M., Levy, M.D., Nowson, C., Ray, S., Pratt, C.A., Seidner, D.L. & Saltzman, E. (2015) Nutrition competencies in health professionals’ education and training: A new paradigm Adv Nutr 6: 83-87
- Ray, S., Laur, C. & Golubic, R. (2014) Malnutrition in healthcare institutions: a review of the prevalence of under-nutrition in hospitals and care homes since 1994 in England Clin Nutr 33: 5, 829-835
- Khan, F., Ray, S., Craigie, A.M., Kennedy, G., Hill, A., Barton, K.L., Broughton, J. & Belch, J.J. (2014) Lowering of oxidative stress improves endothelial function in healthy subjects with habitually low intakes of fruit and vegetables: A randomized controlled trial of antioxidant- and polyphenol-rich blackcurrant juice Free Radic Biol Med
- Ray, S., Laur, C., Douglas, P., Rajput-Ray, M., van der Es, M., Redmond, J., Eden, T., Sayegh, M., Minns, L., Griffin, K., McMillan, C., Adiamah, A., Gillam, S. & Gandy, J. (2014) Nutrition education and leadership for improved clinical outcomes: Training and supporting junior doctors to run ‘Nutrition Awareness Weeks’ in three NHS hospitals across England BMC Medical Education 14: 109
- Ball, L., Crowley, J., Laur, C., Rajput-Ray, M., Gillam, S. & Ray, S. (2014) Nutrition in Medical Education: Reflections from an initiative at the University of Cambridge J Multidiscip Healthc 7: 209-215
- Ray, S., Miglio, C., Eden, T. & Del Rio, D. (2014) Assessment of vascular and endothelial dysfunction in nutritional studies Nutr Metab Cardiovasc Dis
- Kris-Etherton, P., Akabas, S., Bales, C., Bistrian, B., Braun, L., Edwards, M., Laur, C., Lenders, C., Levy, M., Palmer, C., Pratt, C., Ray, S., Rock, C., Saltzman, E., Seidner, D. & Van Horn, L. (2014) The need to advance nutrition education in the training of health care professionals and recommended research to evaluate implementation and effectiveness Am J Clin Nutr 99: 5, 1153S-66S